Stuffed Bell Pepper
- 3 medium – large bell peppers (color of choice)
- 1/2 pound hot sausage
- 1/2 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cooked freekeh (I used Rosemary Sage flavor from Freekeh Foods)
- 2 cups uncooked spinach leaves
- pink himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse bell peppers and cut off tops about 1/2 inch down.
- Discard all seeds and insides of peppers, rinse tops and leave to the side.
- In a small pot, bring 1/2 cup freekeh and 1 cup chicken broth to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down heat to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- In a pan, heat olive oil for onion and garlic.
- Add in minced onion and garlic to pan and cook until onion is translucent.
- Cut sausage into small chunks and add into pan; cooking through completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once sausage is almost completely cooked, add in spinach and sauté.
- Once all parts are cooked, combine freekeh and sausage mixture in a small bowl.
- Stuff peppers to the top and place on a greased cooking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add pepper tops back onto peppers and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until peppers are softened.