Okay so, I am not setting “resolutions” for this year because I don’t believe in them… But there will be more to come on that in a post tomorrow… However, one thing I am doing is making an effort to really “zone” in on my nutrition (teehee … get it? … maybe not… I’ll explain) We started following the zone diet during my Holly Jolly challenge, as some of you may have read about, and if you saw my results post you know that it may a HUGE difference for me in a major way.
Losing 7% body fat and seeing insane results in the gym can really motivate someone to want to keep these eating habits haha.
So we decided that we are going to keep at this whole zone thing. And thanks to the amazing journal my sister got me for Christmas, tracking my blocks and my food will certainly not be a problem! However, one of the hardest things that we have found is learning how to zone recipes that we find or meals that are made in bulk. Of course we don’t want to give up good recipes just because they are hard to figure out.
So when I saw this recipe that I knew I HAD to try, I decided that altering recipes to fit our zoning makes a lot more sense then trying to fit make these recipes work as they are. The recipe I came across was for bacon and jalapeño cauliflower based biscuits. I took it and ran… making sure each thing was measured out to create even easy to zone biscuits.
First off, let me just say they were AMAZING. Secondly, the biscuits couldn’t have been more perfect zone wise. The recipe made 10 yummy great sized biscuits. Each biscuit came out to measure a nice 1/2 block of carbs, 1/2 block of protein, and 1 block of fat.
Meaning 2 biscuits fit nicely into my 3 block post-workout meal 😉
Here is my zone appropriate version of the recipe:
Bacon and Jalapeño Cauliflower Biscuits
- 24oz cauliflower florets (3 3/4 cup once shredded and cooked)
- 1 jalapeño (finely chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 4 slices center cut bacon (cooked)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic (or Garlic Lover’s Flavor God seasoning)
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp bacon grease
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a food processor, grind cauliflower until finely shredded.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add cauliflower.
- Add in seasonings, chopped jalapeño, and grease from cooked bacon. Cook until cauliflower is soft and begins to change color slightly.
- Remove from heat and transfer into large bowl.
- Add in eggs and coconut flour and mix well.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop, scoop even balls of mixture until parchment paper lined baking sheet. This should produce 10 even balls
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until browned.
- Enjoy one biscuit for 1/2 block of carbs and protein and 1 block of fat.
Original recipe that I based this off of can be found here: http://www.justjessieb.com/2013/10/cauliflower-biscuits-with-bacon-jalapeno.html